Sunday, June 29, 2008

Knitting with butterflies


We just wrapped up the 15th (or is it 16th? 17th? I've lost count) annual Butterfly Festival at Dunwoody Nature Center and I'm tired. I just worked a week's worth in two days and am feeling every minute of it.

More than 1,400 visitors strolled through the butterfly tent, made crafts, learned about insects, munched hotdogs and drank lemonade, had their faces painted, shopped in the Butterfly Boutique, and took tons of photos.

Thanks to the most magnificent queen of volunteers I've ever worked with, every single volunteer station was staffed, from setting up concessions and grilling hot dogs to helping with our extremely limited parking options. It was hot, busy, exhausting work, and those wonderful people pulled everything off with grace and diligence.

I'm always awed by the capacity of people to step out of their everyday lives and make memories for strangers. While the press focuses on the charming delight of our youngest visitors, I have to say that the "behind the scenes" work of scores of volunteers is the real magic of our Butterfly Festival.

Today we take a breather before tackling all the cleaning up and putting away that follows any special event. I'm reconnecting with my family (remember me?), picking up the Baby Surprise Jacket, and putting the house back in order.

It feels good to be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts - it's great to hear from you!