Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Dunwoody YES! YES! YES!

Dunwoody YES! I'm so glad the vote went to cityhood. I told the kids this morning that we're present at the advent of a new city . . . how amazing is that? It might seem a bit pollyanna-ish, but I'm really excited about the possibilities and the challenges ahead. I feel a direct connection to those Founding Fathers who appreciated the need for a government "of the people, by the people, and for the people."

One of the more intriguing reactions to the cityhood movement was that it seemed odd for moderate Republicans like me to be in favor of "adding" a layer of government. I don't see cityhood that way. Instead, a City of Dunwoody means more direct government, a closer relationship between voters and elected officials, a direct correlation between taxes and services, and a mandate for greater community involvement.

Now that's what I call representative government.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts - it's great to hear from you!