Sunday, August 10, 2008

Go ahead. Do it your way.

If you want my opinion . . . 

In my experience . . . 

You should . . . 

When I was your age . . .

Why don't you . . . 

Hoo, boy. As an adult, I'm not crazy about advice unless I request it. To be honest, I ask for it quite often, but the unsolicited variety, with its implied criticism or judgement, isn't generally welcome. It's worse when the advice comes from a spouse or parent.

Why don't I remember that when I'm parenting my kids?

AG and A head back to school tomorrow, and I'm loading them up with so much advice I've become Charlie Brown's teacher. You know . . . wah wah wah wah.  Less a voice than white noise. 

Time to hush and let them figure things out. It's really better that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts - it's great to hear from you!